Friday, December 6, 2013

What My Dad Taught Me About Santa And God

Wow has it already been almost 6 months since my last post?! What a semester it has been! Due to the constant requests that I start blogging more I have decided to start blogging once again for personal interests. Due to the little time I have to write in the midsts of finals I'll make this one short and share with you a story from when I was young.

One Christmas many years ago when I was about five years old, give or take two years, I wanted a puzzle (I believe it was a Barney puzzle but it might have been Tigger). When I begged my parents for this puzzle they told me to ask Santa. For weeks I couldn't wait for them to take me to the mall to sit on Santa's lap and ask for this puzzle. However, when we finally made it to the mall and I finally got on Santa's lap I forgot about the puzzle. Afterwards I remember being upset and asking my parents to take me back so I could tell Santa but I had missed my chance. I was devastated.

Christmas morning when I went into the living room toys from Santa filled the space. In front of all the toys displayed...there it was....my puzzle! I remember asking my dad to take of the plastic so I could play with it. As he did he said the words that I have never forgotten, "You didn't even ask Santa for the puzzle but he brought you one!" To me it was a Christmas miracle.

Why do I bother telling you this story? Think about it. I knew what I wanted from Santa, but because I was in awe of him when I finally spent time with Santa it slipped my mind. Santa however still brought me the one toy I wanted most. Our parents are intended to be the first example in our lives for the love of God. My parents, and in this case my dad, were a wonderful example for how God will answer prayers even when we do not ask. So many times in prayer I think it is all too easy to be ashamed or to forget to bring our deepest desires to God. Somehow though, God still provides. God blesses us, even when we forget to ask him.

As the stress of the end of the year piles on for each of us in our various points of life, let us bring our deepest desires to God in prayer. More importantly let us never forget to thank him for the blessings that he brings us, even if we did not necessarily ask God for that blessing.

On a final lighthearted yet very powerful note (you must not laugh otherwise you will miss the last and best line):


No comments:

Post a Comment