Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dora the Explorer

Sometimes I jealous of Dora the Explorer.

Yes, you heard right I am jealous of Dora the Explorer. Why?

Her Backpack.



Have you ever noticed all of the STUFF Dora keeps in her backpack? Sometimes Dora will have in her backpack something as simple as paper or an umbrella but other times there will be items such as multiple ladders at once or even a space suit.

One would have to think that either Dora's back must be extremely strong, she is extremely tired and sore, or her backpack has a magical force to help her.

On a typical day my backpack is known to be holding my Bible, laptop, math binder, history binder, biology binder, lab manual, class folders, at least one textbook, and other miscellaneous items. After a while my back gets pretty sore and I get tired. I often find myself complaining or wishing I didn't have to carry so much with me in a single day. At the same time I could take out a folder, paper, or the many miscellaneous items. So why don't I take out the little things to ease my load? Simple. I don't ever want to walk out the front door without absolutely everything I need to get me through the school day. Another option is I could just leave school altogether and get a job, after all college isn't required. I choose, however, to go to school to learn the skills I feel would help me to be an active member of society, even though at times it is hard.

Ok that sounds great, but what's point to all of this? I don't know about the rest of the world but often times I find my spiritual life this way as well, especially during times of immense blessings such as the Easter season. It as if the many blessings that come from God have to be carried on our back. God blesses me with so much in my life and it is all very exciting but sometimes I get pretty exhausted carrying all of the blessings. Naturally in these times temptation comes into play and I want to not be blessed by God. A feeling of guilt for not wanting God's blessings also enter my thoughts.

When I ponder over all of this naturally my thoughts would be lead to the burden Jesus carried when he carried the cross. Jesus didn't have to carry the cross but he saw how important his journey was on the cross so he kept on going. Here's what really strikes me though, even Jesus the Messiah did not do it alone.
"As they led him away they took hold of a certain Simon, a Cyrenian, who was coming in from the country; and after laying the cross on him, they made him carry it behind Jesus" Luke 23:26
The greatest man that ever walked the face of the Earth had to humble himself enough to accept the help of another. I cannot imagine what Jesus must have been thinking when the guards forced another man to help him. I can only wish that I could have been there to help the man that would give his life for me. For this reason, when our load gets heavy we must not continue on in our path. Instead, we must take a moment and ask ourselves three questions:

1. Is there someone out there waiting to help me? 
2. Am I being selfish by carrying my burdens on my own? 
3. How conceited am I if I can't even ask for help with the hard stuff?

Even when there are blessings the journey is still rough. I look at my day so far and with each new happiness I find a new set of things to carry in my backpack.

So I guess when I really think about it, I can't be jealous of Dora because I have someone more powerful than a magic backpack. I have Jesus.
"For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.” John 6:40

No comments:

Post a Comment